Some days you eat salad and go the gym. Other days you eat cupcakes and refuse to wear pants. It’s called balance. Here are two of our favorite super delicious salad recipes to help you out with that balance this summer:
Shrimp Avocado Salad
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons
chopped celery leaves
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 limes
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 hass avocados, diced
1 5 -ounce package baby kale salad mix (about 8 cups)
1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high.
Make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, celery leaves, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Grate in the zest of 1 lime and squeeze in the juice.
Toss the shrimp with the vegetable oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a bowl. Arrange the shrimp on the grill and cook until pink and just firm, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the bowl with the dressing; squeeze in the juice of the remaining 1/2 lime.]
Add the sliced celery, avocados, salad mix and radishes to the bowl with the shrimp; toss to coat. Top with the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
Mexica Corn Salad
- 4 ears of corn (3 cups cooked kernels)
- ½ cup diced red onion, ¼ inch dice
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper, ¼ inch dice
- ½ cup diced cucumber, ¼ inch dice
- 1 avocado, ¼ inch dice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup queso fresco or cotija cheese
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice and zest of one lime
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lightly brush each corn cob with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to high heat. Add a small amount of vegetable oil on a folded piece of paper towel, and then carefully grease the grill with the oil. Once the grill is nice and hot, add the corn. Close lid and cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping and covering, about 12 minutes total. You want to achieve some char marks on each side. Set corn aside and allow to cool enough to handle. Carefully cut the corn kernels off the cob on a cutting board.
- In a large bowl combine corn, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and ¼ cup of cheese.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together yogurt, lime juice, zest, chipotle pepper, cumin, and salt. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and whisk into dressing until smooth. Taste dressing and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Right before serving combine the salad with half the dressing. Drizzle the top of the salad with the remaining dressing as desired, crumble the remaining ¼ cup cheese, some chopped cilantro, and freshly ground pepper.